How to Set up a Philips Hue Sync Box with a TV
Make your gaming and movies even more immersive with light, adding depth and additional light source to help bring the on screen action into your room.
What you will need
To use the Hue Sync box and set it up with your Hue network you need:
- Philips Hue Bridge
- 1 or more color capable Philips Hue lights.
- An entertainment area (created in the Philips Hue main app).
- Display/TV/projector for watching content, needs to have HDMI input.
- 1 or more HDMI output devices (game consoles, Chromecast, set top box).
- High speed HDMI cable (1 already included with the Sync Box).
- Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz, during setup active internet connection needed).
- Hue Sync app for your iPhone, iPad, or Android device (This is different to the main Hue App)
- The Philips Hue app
How to setup
Here are step-by-step instructions on setting up the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box.
- If you haven’t already set up your Hue bridge and lights, and install the Hue app on your phone.
- Connect your Hue Sync Box to your TV with the HDMI cable that is in the box.
- Connect your HDMI devices (PS5, games console, Chromecast) to your Hue Sync Box.
- Power on your Hue Sync Box by connecting it to the power adaptor, using the cable that is in the box.
- The LED will start blinking blue, confirm in the app that this is the case.
- Make sure Bluetooth is on your mobile device is turned on.
- Accept Terms and Conditions in the app.
- Connect to the Hue Sync Box via Bluetooth.
- Select your WIFI network and make sure this is the same your bridge is connected to.
- Enter password (no copy/paste possible).
- Connected, press next.
- Press button on sync box for 3 sec, LED is white, flashes green once when linked successfully.
- The app will now check for updates, install these, afterwards press Next.
- Connect to Hue bridge, make sure it is powered on and on the same WIFI as your Sync Box.
- Press search, when your Bridge is found, press the button on the Bridge, press Next.
- Select or create an entertainment area.
- Name and select icons for your HDMI input devices (these can be edited later too)
- Click ‘Let’s go’, and that’s it!
Frequently Asked Questions
My lights out of sync with the TV
Adjust the delay/speed up settings in the Philips Hue Sync app.
Can I use the sync box through a HDMI splitter box?
Yes you can, this will work.
What lights do I need?
You will need at least one Philips Hue color capable light, you also need to set this up in your entertainment area using the Hue app on your phone.
What apps do I need?
You will need the Philips Hue app to connect your bridge and set up the entertainment area. The Philips Hue Sync mobile app is also needed to setup and control the Sync Box.
Will existing Philips Hue lights work with the Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box?
Yes, all existing Philips Hue color capable lights will be able to connect to Philips Hue Play (HDMI) Sync Box to create an immersive entertainment experience.
What versions of HDMI does this work with?
The Hue Sync box supports up to 4K 60Hz; 1080p & 1440p 120Hz , HDR10+ & Dolby Vision.
Does this work with all TV’s?
This will work with all modern day TV’s that have a HDMI input.
Join for Hue Inspiration, Latest News & Great Deals