Most Common Philips Hue Problems & How to Easily Fix Them
Philips Hue bulbs have been voted among the best lights that provide your home with natural and beautiful blending lighting altogether. Just like any other devices, we cannot ignore that sometimes thing don’t always go smoothly and there maybe a little issue here and there. These issues are quite common and are easy to fix too.
Philips Hue Problems & Troubleshooting
We have rounded up some of the common issues people face when using Hue bulbs and how to resolve these problems.
Note that it is essential that you first make sure all bulbs are turned on at the main switch and that power is going to the bulbs.
It is also worth checking the Hue bridge to make sure the lights are on and not flashing. All lights should be a constant blue.
1. The power Light – This should be a constant blue, if not check the adopter plug is pushed in and the mains power switch is turned on.
2. Network Light – This should be a constant blue, this shows you are connected to the home network allowing you and it to talk to the bulbs.
3. Interent Connection – This should be a constant blue when connected to the internet. This allows you to access your bulbs remotely. If you don’t need to be connected to use it at home.
4. Sync Button – You will push this large button to allow apps to access your bridge. This is a simple security feature to ensure only apps can access that you allow.
The Hue bridge cannot find all my lights
This can happen when setting up if you bulbs are out of range of the hub or perhaps depending on where the bridge is positioned. You can either move the bulb closer to the hub to set up and then position where you originally want it, or you can enter the serial code for the bulb as below.
- Then open the Philip hue app and select “settings options.”
- After that, click on “add serial number” option on the app. Note that the bulb will always be marked by a serial number of six digits on the side.
- After that, key in the serial numbers of the bulb.
- Then click “ok” to connect the lights to the bridge.
Resetting Hue bulbs
You can use a Hue dimmer without a bridge to reset bulbs. Reset the dimmer with the setup button in the back (hold 15 seconds), then reset bulbs by holding the dimmer close and holding down the ON and OFF buttons simultaneously until bulb flashes. Repeat this method to reset your bulbs. Once reset you can then connect them to your new bridge.
Hue Philips lights are unreachable
Have you tried switching off your lights without using the Philips Hue app and you find that some lights are not working? Well, this could be due to a problem with the settings.
Therefore in such a case, you need to use Philip’s app to turn off the lights which are quite comfortable and possible. You can use two methods which are; Switching on all the lights at once and then switching off after a few seconds. Or by the use of the hue app.
- Go to the app and click on the “settings” section.
- Then select the lighting set up option.
- Look for the lights that you are unable to control and thus click on the “info option.”
- Delete the bulb and add it again to the Hue Bridge.
Read our full guide here – How to Fix Unreachable Hue Bulbs
Hue app won’t connect to bridge
First ensure all the lights on the Hue bridge are a solid blue, if so then this is working fine and is connected to your network. You should ensure that your phone or tablet that has the Hue app on is connected to the same network that the Hue bridge is on.
If you have multiple wireless networks such as a 2.4ghz network and a 5.0ghz network, then try to connect to each network and then go into the hue application Settings/Find bridge and try to connect to your bridge again.
Internet Light flashing on my Hue Bridge
The internet connection light on the bridge (Number 3 in the image above) will flash when trying to connect. The bridge does not need to be connected to work with your home lights, so when flashing, your lights should still work. If the light is flashing it may have lost connection is is trying to reconnect, this can happen from time to time. If it does not stop flashing then ensure your router is connected to the internet.
Hue Bridge stopped working
Sometimes the hue bridge may automatically stop to work due to various causes like the settings and so on. Also, the problem may occur in the case where the lights have stopped communicating with the bridge hence causing a blackout.
Try out the first process of reviving its function which includes the use of the Hue Bridge as we saw earlier. If that fails, you can use the other method which requires you to factory reset the device. Note that this includes deleting all the settings on the device and creating new and fresh settings.
How to Completely reset Hue Bridge – The Fix
- Get your Philip Hue Bridge, and at the back, you will find small gap marked as “restore factory setting.”
- Get something that can fit on that mark and gently press it for about five seconds. Make sure that the Philip Hue Bridge is still on when conducting these processes.
- Then release the button and check your bridge if it functions well by connecting all your lights with the bridge again.
Hue bulbs are Flickering and/or buzzing
This is a common problem found on different bulbs, and it can also occur on the Philips hue too. The causes may be due to a damaged bulb, also ensure that the bulb is using a traditional light switch and not a in the wall dimmer switch. Using the Hue dimmer is fine, however you will face an issue using a traditional wall dimmer and this could be the causes of the buzzing and flickering.
Amazon Alexa and Philips hue not connecting
If you have connected both the Philips hue and Amazon Alexa, there may develop some fault in the connection and function too. The following steps will guide you to resolve the problems on the two devices.
- Restart both the Philips hue bridge and the echo.
- Disable the Philips hue skill and later reactivate it with the use of Alexa app.
- Then go to the Alexa app settings and select “forgot.” This enables you to disconnect your bridge from the echo.
- Wait for some few seconds and connect them again. (Note that the connection between the bridge and the Amazon echo is only possible if there is a wifi connection and it should be from the same router. )
Read: Our full guide on how to connect Alexa to Philips Hue here.
If you ever experience any of the above issues with your Philip hue bulbs, follow the listed solutions to solve the problems.
Join for Hue Inspiration, Latest News & Great Deals