How To Use Apple HomePod with Philips Hue
Hue works with Apple HomeKit already and with the release of Apple HomePod you can not connect it to your Hue lights allowing you to turn them on and off by just telling Siri. The system works in a similar manner to other voice control systems such as Amazons Alexa and Google Home.
How to set up Philips Hue with Apple HomeKit
To use your Hue lights with the Apple HomePod, you do need a Hue bridge. This is because the Apple HomePod does not have ZigBee built in, which is used to communicate with the Hue bulbs, therefore the bridge is needed. Other smart hubs such as Amazon Echo has this built in.
- Open the Philips Hue app and navigate to Settings > HomeKit & Siri.
- Tap Pair Hue Bridge.
- Name your home and tap Create home.
- When the app opens your camera, scan the ID on the bottom of your Hue Bridge.
- Your lights will appear in a default room the Home app.
- Organise and group your lights into rooms to reflect their physical locations in your home.
Does Apple HomePod work with Philips Hue?
Yes, it is quick and easy to set up, this video shows the simple steps to setting up your Apple HomePod to connect and work with your Hue lights.
Philips Hue Apple HomePod Commands
Below are a list of commands that work with Hue that you can say to your HomePod using the command ‘Hey Siri’ to activate it. You can also manually activate Siri by placing your finger on the HomePod and leaving it there for a few seconds, it will then activate and you can then speak to it.
- Hey Siri, turn on the lights
- Hey Siri, turn off the lights
- Hey Siri, dim the lights
- Hey Siri, make all of the lights in the office maximum brightness
- Hey Siri, are the lights in the office on?
- Hey Siri, turn all of the lights in the office blue
- Hey Siri, turn the Hue light strip purple
Read our article and how to guide on setting up Siri shortcuts for Hue here.
Does Hue work with HomeKit, without a Hue bridge?
No, you need a 2nd Gen Hue bridge to be able to use Apple HomeKit and Siri with Hue.
Join for Hue Inspiration, Latest News & Great Deals