Philips Hue Rumors
This page is updated with any rumours or latest reports of any new Hue features, bulbs and updates.
Latest Hue Rumors
Below are the latest reports and details or potentially new Hue updates and products. What would you like to see? Check out our article on Philips Hue – Feature Requests and our requisition and hopes.
New GU10 Color Bulbs Coming in August?
A common request are updates GU10 bulbs, there are rumours that this fall there maybe an update to these including the GU10 bulbs having improved color and getting the ‘richer colors’ stamp.
In january we reported that there were No Immediate Plans for New GU10 Color Bulbs, however this may have now changed, or that the body size of the color bulb remains the same, however the color is improved.
There are reports of the GU10 color bulb becoming more compact, richer colours and also incorporating Bluetooth. The new GU10 bulbs will be:
- Shorter – 5.7 inches instead of 7.1 inches long
- Brighter – 350 instead of the previous 250 lumens
- 5.7 instead of 6.5 watts
- Also have Richer Colors for improved color reproduction
Reports suggest these newer bulbs could be released mid August.
Update – Rumours were true and new GU10 bulbs have been released.
‘Exciting’ New Features Coming Soon
Within the notes for a recent bridge update changes have been made to prepare for some ‘exciting new features’. We are not sure what these could be, maybe allowing for more bulbs to be added to a single bridge?
Release notes for bridge update:
- We have made some big changes in the Hue Bridge filesystem resulting in better performance. This enables some exciting new features coming up!
- We implemented improvements in the Hue Bridge so cloud-integrations (i.e. Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant) work more reliable in the future.
- We improved the reliability of Hue Tap and Friends of Hue Switches, solving an issue where lights would sometimes fail to respond to commands
- We resolved an issue that lights were wrongly indicated as not supporting Power-on Behaviour in the mobile App although they had that capability before. Thanks for reaching out to us for this issue!
New filament light bulbs and a brand-new smart plug
New reports by iCulture share that Philips Hue is planning to launch a new bulbs and new accessories. The collection will reportedly include filament light bulbs and a brand-new smart plug. Although nothing has been confirmed or released by Philips the reports look promising and could be expected in fall this year.
The new bulbs are believed to be Bluetooth-enabled, therefore you may not need a Hue bridge to use. Current Hue bulbs use ZigBee technology.
LED filament bulbs are a popular bulb choice and look great, there are not filament Hue bulbs at the moment and this would be a new bulb for their range. At the moment exciting bulbs have a plastic whiteish top, which is fine for lamps where you may not see the bulb, however for lights where you can see the bulb these would be great.
A smart plug would be a new product from Philips and something that could allow you to use lights and lamps where they do not offer a suitable bulb, you could then turn these lights on and off using your Hue set up and including with timers and schedules.
If reports are true we would expect these to be officially announced at the IFA in Berlin.
Hue Bulb Updates
This fall there are also reports of an update to the current range of Hue bulbs as well as the current Philip Hue Go lamps.
Join for Hue Inspiration, Latest News & Great Deals